Pages

"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God." -- Philippians 1:9-11

Monday, October 25, 2010

Top 5 Reasons I am SUPER DUPER EXCITED!

Essentially… I started to write this/wanted to write this/needed to write this on Friday.  However a combination of life and Chuck got in the way.  So now it is Sunday night/about to be Monday morning, and I am finally getting about to what I began 3 days ago.

So, I was SUPER DUPER EXCITED then.  And I still am, it’s just not shown as exuberantly.  Inside I’m still 1000 little purple people jumping up and down and up and down and up and down in the purest most true from of joy imaginable.  And here is why:

5) Journalism – I really am enjoying my journalism class.  In fact they almost convinced me to switch to a journalism major the other day!  Not really… I like biology too much, but I believe I have found my second love.  That is, I’m sure, until I have to write another essay.  Anyway, on Friday we heard from 617-Patrick.  His real name is Patrick O’Malley, but he changed it for a number of reasons I’d go into if I was COMPLETELY into journalism, but I’m not.  So he talked about how social media plays a role in journalism, and specifically how we as young journalists (he didn’t know I was a bio major) can use social media to our advantage.  And would ya just guess what he talked the most about? Blogs!  So here are a few fun facts:
           
A) There are about 200,000,000 blogs out there.

B) 94% of them are only read by the author. (This means that Valerie, Elika, Meghan, and whoever else that I’m following is already doing better than 94% OF THE ENTIRE BLOGGING WORLD!)

C) Blogs (or anything on the internet for that matter) are more likely to show up on Google or other search engines if they have “incoming links.”  Essentially, the more times other articles reference your blog, the higher up Goggle will rank you in a search.

Also, for my journalism class we have a mid-term reporting project.  The topic I chose is Freedom of the Press.  For the project we had to interview a professional or expert in the field, so after much difficulty and lots and lots of phone calls I finally found one lawyer in the city of Boston who was willing to spend 40 minutes talking to a freshmen college student at Northeastern University who is doing a project for a journalism class but who doesn’t actually want to be a journalist*.  And I had the interview TODAY!  And even though I was super nervous that he was going to a) think my questions were dumb or b) use words and phrases that would leave me hopelessly confused and lost, neither of my fears came true and it turned out to be a very successful interview.  So in brief, journalism makes me happy.

4) Fish – This Thursday, instead of having another lecture in biology, we got to play with fish!  You know, the whole put-a-mirror-in-front-of-a-beta-fish-and-watch-him-get-all-mad… But this was awesome because we didn’t even have to answer any of the lab questions AND we got to keep the fish!  So I now have a new fish.  He needs a name.  Any suggestions?  I was thinking of Dash from “The Incredibles.”  Not that he’s fast, he hardly moves much actually, but that’s my favorite movie.  The last time this name was used however was freshmen year Biology class, when Rachel and I decided our rat that we were dissecting needed a name…  I’m just not sure if I can use it again after that.

3) Service – I love volunteering!  And I will expound upon this topic more fully when it’s not past midnight with class at 9 am the next morning!

2) Friends – I have just completed** what I am going to call my best project yet.  Though I have had some pretty good projects, I think this one tops in quantity, randomness***, and most likely to make the most people smile.  I have mailed out/delivered 40 survival kits.  And I would explain more here, however some haven’t yet received them, and so as not to ruin the AWESOME surprise, I will keep quite on the issue until a later date.  So if you’re wondering now “What the heck is she talking about!?” – patience my young padawon. 

1) EQUADOR! – I HAVE DECIDED WHAT TO DO OVER SPRING BREAK I AM GOING TO EQUADOR TO VISIT VALERIE AND DO COMMUNITY SERVICE AT HER SCHOOL AND I AM REALLY SUPER DUPER EXCITED FOR THIS AND THIS IS THE UNDERLYING REASON FOR THIS ENTIRE POST AND ALL OF MY EMOTIONS AT PRESENT AND I CANNOT CONTAIN THE 1000 LITTLE PURPLE PEOPLE JUMPING UP AND DOWN AND UP AND DOWN AND UP AND DOWN IN THE PUREST MOST TRUE FORM OF JOY IMAGINABLE INSIDE OF ME AT THE MOMENT EVEN IF IT IS ALMOST 12:30 IN THE MORNING AND I AM REALLY REALLY TIRED SO VALERIE AND EQUADOR HERE I COME I CANNOT WAIT I’LL SEE YOU IN MARCH****

And some other reasons why I’m happy….

Although it was parent weekend which made me kinda sad because it seemed like I was the ONLY kid there without a parent…. It was still made good on account of
a) I got a care package with homemade banana bread!
b) I also got yellow silly putty, a yellow squishy ball, and a yellow bottle of bubbles! (and yellow is my favorite color!)
c) I have a letter covered in purple duct tape to be mailed to Valerie if I can find a post office!
d) I just had the most amazing day with Heather and her grandparents touring Boston and Boston Harbor!
e) I got a care package from Brittney right when I was feeling the most left out of parent weekend, full of fun things plus an awesome CD of pictures and memories from youth group!
f) CHUCK!
g) and finally LIFE*****!

And that is it.


*That is a run on sentence if I ever saw one…
**Almost
***Yes that is a measure of success.
****Yeah I didn’t feel like putting punctuation in.
*****I am so blessed and I thank God every day for the life and love He has given me.  Praise be to God!

6 comments:

  1. EMILY WHEN IS YOUR SPRING BREAK?
    ...because I was totally inspired by you, and I was talking to Valerie, and I remembered that I have all of this money that I've saved, and the whole reason I went to school in state was so I could have ADVENTURES...
    Need I say more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. NAMES FOR ANIMALS ARE MY FAVORITES!
    My next fish are going to be Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga, but that's actually a very long story, and I'm sure you don't want yours to be named either of those (but if you DID want it, you TOTALLY could and I would not be upset at all!)
    Anywaaaaay. A good male name. Maximillian. Eugene. (or Spanish, Eugenio) Nino (the guy from Amelie. SUUUPER movie. I just watched it. A little out there, in FRENCH, yet awesome. And oh-so-cute [mostly]) Carlos Ramirez. Emery. Sir Phillip Worthington. Hubert. Marcus. Farcus. (I have 4 fake fish: Hubert, Marcus, Farcus, and Penelope) Benji. Fishy McGee. My creative juices are not at their max right now, but I hope that's a decent start...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elika - February 26th through March 6th, including weekends. AND YOU SHOULD DO IT! It will be quite and adventure.

    Meghan - LOVE IT! So Fishy McGee or Farcus... Or maybe something else if I think of it. And what was the name of our crab (I think it was a crab) in our Eco Chamber? Arted...??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote Farcus. And if you got another, you could name it Arted, and then if you got their names mixed up accidentally it would be Arcus and Farted. Which would be funny.


    I AM SO EXCITED AS WELL I AM NOT USING PUNCTUATION EITHER AND OH MY GOODNESS I HAVE THE BESTEST FRIENDS IN THE WORLD THAT WOULD COME VISIT ME BELOW THE FREAKING EQUATOR AHHH PURPLE PEOPLE ARE JUMPING INSIDE OF ME AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dangit your spring break is different from my spring break. That would have been a definite party of awesome proportions.

    ReplyDelete