Pages

"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God." -- Philippians 1:9-11

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

War is not the answer


"Do not rejoice when your enemies fall, and do not let your heart be glad when they stumble; or else the LORD will see it and be displeased, and turn his anger away from them.”
~PROVERBS 24:17-18

I try not to stick my head in the political bullfight too often for fear of it being chopped off, but in light of the Osama Bin Laden murder…

This is not ok:



I understand the patriotism, what I don’t understand is how we can celebrate so extensively the death of another human.  Celebrating advancement towards peace is one thing, which is supposedly what this war is trying to accomplish, but celebrating this murder?  Where are the morals in that?

I don’t want to come off as ungrateful for the sacrifices of so many of our troops who risk their lives to protect our country.  I don’t want to offend anyone who has worked so hard to fight for democracy.  I don't want to seem insensitive to the families of those who lost loved ones in 9/11.  I pray for you all.  I want to call to attention the unreasonable and outright wrong response the American people as a whole have had to this event. 

A couple weeks before school got out a couple friends and I went to the Curry Student Center where we normally go to study some or do homework before chemistry on Tuesdays.  When we got there, there was a mural project underway to promote peace, so instead of studying we helped paint.  The mural had the word “peace” 70 times in English, Arabic, and Hebrew each, with the word “love” highlighted in Hebrew.



3 comments:

  1. I think that you are completely right. No matter how cruel, a person is a person, and their death should never be an occasion to mock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad has been in and out of Iraq and Afghanistan for the past seven years on three deployment tours with the Army National Guard. And yet, all of this celebration (focused specifically on Osama's death) makes me uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy - Thank you for your comment. It is imperative that we still support our troops. This is a difficult subject because it seems like to be against the celebration is to be against everything else, but that's not necessarily true. Acknowledgement should be made, but as Valerie stated, a death should never be mocked.

    ReplyDelete