Pages

"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God." -- Philippians 1:9-11

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Holy Neptune, Lobsterman!

First off, this post has very little to do with the title.  So if that was your hook to start reading then you can stop now. 

I’ll start with the one relevant lobster reference.

Sometimes it gets kinda cold here, ok, really cold here.  Gloves or mittens are a necessity, whether for skiing, sledding, shoveling the driveway (which, by the way, I’ve been doing a LOT of in the last couple weeks), driving (so your hands don’t get stuck to the gearstick), or just walking around.  So the ultimate question: gloves or mittens?  The best part of gloves in my opinion is that you can use your fingers as they were designed to function.  Mittens of course inhibit this action, yet enable your fingers to stay close together and warm up.  My fingers get REALLY cold really easily, so I generally prefer mittens.  Then some genius (EXTREME sarcasm here) invented these mittens that had gloves on the inside.  So the outer layer looked like a mitten, but when you put your hand in it, it was like putting on gloves.  This, I would like to point out, defeats the best part of BOTH GLOVES AND MITTENS!  You can’t move around your fingers individually, and they are separated and don’t stay as warm.  Total failure.  Lobster gloves are another attempt at the fusion of gloves and mittens.  They allow two fingers to stay together and move independently of the other two fingers, and consequently look like lobster claws.  They also make you look like Spock stuck in a Vulcan salute “Live long and prosper!”  I have not tested this article in extreme weather conditions, so cannot advocate for their usefulness.  Glittens I’ve become a fan of.  Your fingers can stay warm, and then when you need to use them, just flip off the mitten part and BAM you have mobile fingers!  Mine also have llamas on them… so that may make me a little biased.

All right, on to something with purpose.

Today is my last day in Alaska, and it is quickly coming to a close.  I fly out in two short hours.  My time spent sitting in the Ted Stevens International Airport under wreaths bearing abnormally large pinecones with a blizzard raging outside is being spent ranting about the usefulness of gloves and mittens, and before I know it I will be back in Boston supposedly learning but also having a very good time with friends and family.  I had a fantastic break, but am looking forward to new adventures in Boston this semester, knowing I will be returning home in a few short months.  I will miss my friends and family dearly, you are all so special and more then coming home to Alaska I look forward to coming home to you.  Thank you all so so much.  Take care in the New Year.  Whether in Alaska or gallivanting elsewhere around the world, know that you are loved.  Good night everyone, good night moon (or should I say Neptune… to Thai it all in).

:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment