Pages

"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God." -- Philippians 1:9-11

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

18 days!!!


So this here is about something that I mentioned in a previous post, but really deserves a whole post (if not multiple) to itself.

I AM RUNNING A MARATHON!!!

On June 18th I am running the Mayor’s Midnight Sun Marathon in Anchorage, Alaska.  If you had asked me a couple days ago how training was going, I would have probably said terrible.  Now however, after a 20-mile run yesterday during which I didn’t die, I think I just might be ok.  You see before that run the most I had ever run at one time was 16 miles, and both times I did that I barely made it.  The first time I went out way to fast, so I learned my lesson (I SOMENLY SWEAR TO NOT GO OUT TOO FAST DURING THIS MARATHON – we’ll see how that goes, I’m kinda competitive).  The second 16-miler was supposed to be an 18-miler, but we didn’t make it.  I’m going to contribute that to running those 16 miles at Crevasse Moraine, Keplar-Bradley, and the Experimental Farm, which if you’ve run there before, you’ll know they are not exactly the flattest trails on the planet (consequently, they are some of the hilliest I’ve ever run on).  So this 20-miler I was really dreading, so much so that I pushed it off till Tuesday.  But I did it.  I ran 20 miles, the last 6 of which were 30 seconds faster per mile (I need to find my pace for the marathon – not too fast so I die, but I still want to get a good time!). 

I had mentioned earlier that I hoped to qualify for the Boston Marathon (I’d need a time of 3:40).  I don’t think that’s going to happen in this race.  My last-ditch-you-better-be-able-to-pull-this-off-Emily goal is to run in under 4:30.  Under 4 would be spectacular, but I’m not sure just how realistic that goal is.  We’ll see come race day.  Since I’ve never run a marathon before, I really have no idea how fast I can push myself for such a long distance.

Anywho, I am so very excited now for this race.  IT’S GONNA BE EPIC!!!  If you want to come into Anchorage and cheer me on (I’m going to need all the help I can get), it starts at 8AM on Saturday the 18th at Bartlett High School (no need to get there that early - I'll be running for quite some time).  Here’s a link to the course map

One more very, VERY important detail: my mom is running with me.  She is such a dedicated and inspiring runner.  And she needs people to cheer for her too!  I’m planning on running the first 10 to 16 miles with her, depending on how things go during the race.  I honestly don’t think I’d still be doing this without her support; she makes those long runs bearable!  Thanks mom!

So yes, that’s all.  I’ll be sure to make a follow up post after the race.  Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Yay Emily good luck! I don't know what's on our agenda for that weekend, but I'll try to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Emily you are such a beast! I would totally come cheer you on, except I'm way way far north. But I'll be cheering you on from up here. GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete