Pages

"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God." -- Philippians 1:9-11

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

New Plan

So as stated in my earlier post, I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.  Things are changing, constantly.  Turns out (as of now) that I’ll actually be taking Geographic Information Services (for a minor or possible double major in Environmental Science), Health Policy in an Era of Reform (an honors seminar), and Physics 1 and Organic Chemistry 2 (couldn’t shake those two – unfortunately) next semester.

Also on the topic of new plans – I’m going to visit both my grandmas over Thanksgiving break!  And I am very excited for that, although I just booked a taxi ride at 4:45 tomorrow morning… Not looking forward to that one.  It should be a good break though.  I’m going to try as hard as possible to not do any school work, though if I actually want to accomplish that I should get off the computer now and go do my homework.  Such a dilemma…  Doing work now, or later.  This reminds me of our discussion today in my Environmental Ethics class.  Basically some people think that we should save the environment for future generations, others think that future generations don’t count that much for a number of reasons*, so basically we discount the value of the future individual back to the present time, and they aren’t worth as much.  Crazy idea right!?  Although we kind of have to in able to justify all the things we do now.  And that relates to my homework problem in that I can do it now or put it off for my future self to do, in the same way that we as a society hand off the growing environmental problems to the next generation over and over again.

Alrighty, there’s my post for the night.  Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say Rejoice.  Let your gentleness be known to everyone.  The Lord is near.  Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.  Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you.”
          – PHILIPPIANS 4:4-9


* Reasons future individuals don’t count as much as those alive today
1) The Swamping Problem – There are SO MANY MORE future individuals than people alive now, that in order to help them we would essentially have to give up everything in live now.
2) The Uncertainty Problem – We don’t know what future generations will actually need, so why save stuff for the.
3) The “They will be Gods Problem” – People in the future will be better off than us, so they don’t need help from us.
4) The Nonidentity Problem – Those future people don’t actually exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment