Pages

"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God." -- Philippians 1:9-11

Sunday, March 9, 2014

2/28/14 - The adventure in ROME begins!



I am going to Rome.  And I am so so excited!! I have a lot of random thoughts running through my head right now so I will go ahead and share them.

1) I am going old-school blogging on this trip.  It’s called journaling.  And (hopefully) post trip I will transpose these words to the modern blogging world complete with pictures as well!  That is the goal anyway.  I figured this would be a good idea so I wouldn’t have to bring my computer to Rome, and therefore don’t have to risk breaking it or having it stolen.  I also didn’t bring my phone for the same reasons, so I will be off the grid for the week.  Sometimes it is nice to unplug for a while!

2) I am really excited about this trip primarily to see Rome, the churches, coliseum, pantheon, etc., but secondarily (and pretty much equally) excited for the food that I will be eating this week.  So please don’t be surprised if the posts from here on out include photos of breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as any ice cream/gelato that happens.  I promise I will attempt to include history and religion as well, but I may also advise not to continue reading on an empty stomach…

3) In high school when I got my passport, they said not to smile because when I will be traveling I will be grumpy and not smiling.  But HELLO!!! I am going to ROME!!! Practically grinning from ear to ear here.

4) Why isn’t every flight that I take on Air France?  Oh yeah, I supposed because I usually fly to Alaska… I should go to Paris more often.  Although I am in the middle of the middle seat on the plane, practically as far from a window as possible, I am quite cozy in my blanket, with my pillow, smelling dinner that is moving down the aisle my way, with Monsters University and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs cued up to watch after my journaling is done for the day (because secretly I am still a child inside and Disney is where it is at).  My original plan was to fall asleep as soon as the plane took off, and I am fairly confident that I could.  But I suppose I could also muster the energy to stay awake for another hour or so to enjoy second dinner and a movie.  And did I mention that all of this is free?

[Pause in writing for dinner]

5) Because food will clearly be a focus of this week I will start with dinner tonight (or… second dinner that is… even though I am on a plane).  Lentil salad with green bell peppers and cranberries and an orange vinaigrette dressing, chicken with middle-eastern style sauce and rice with vegetables, brie and French bread, apple sauce, mango cheesecake, and champagne (because why not!?).

And now that I am warm, full, quite relaxed (and on my way to ROME!) I will attempt to rest for a bit.  Today was a very full day, mostly just of me being excited.  But that requires a lot of energy!  I am blessed to be here, and so thankful to everyone who helped make it possible! God is so great!


[Despite the additional comforts of Air France, it was still a red-eye flight, which by definition sucks.  I did manage to get a little bit of sleep and woke up just in tome for breakfast.  Still groggy, I plan to take a nap during our five-hour layover in Paris – unfortunately not quite enough time to make it into the city for a short visit… Guess that means I’ll just have to come back!]

No comments:

Post a Comment