Pages

"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God." -- Philippians 1:9-11

Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Final Days

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.
          ~ Hebrews 12: 1-2


It is so crazy to think that just under four months ago I was just beginning my journeys in Costa Rica.  Now I am home, trading howler monkeys for howling wind and the tropical sun for dark Alaskan nights (and days).  This truly was a wonderful experience.  I learned so much, and experienced things I never thought I would be doing, from Tarzan swinging through the jungle to watching whales surface right beside our boat.  I learned so much about tropical ecology and conservation, as well as how to formulate, carry out, and write up a scientific research project.

Much of my time in Costa Rica was spent in the Children’s Eternal Rainforest, so it was fitting to finish up our trip with another hike in the cloud forest.  This time we hiked to the San Gerardo field station.  The plan was to spend the night there, and then continue hiking to Arenal National Park, however heavy rainstorms forced us to turn around at the station and head back out the road (I shouldn’t be surprised, we are in the rain forest after all).

Map of the Children's Eternal Rainforest

It was a beautiful hike!  Even in the pouring rain.  At one point the clouds did part enough for us to get a glimpse of the lake we were heading towards, but never enough for us to see the Arenal Volcano.  I hiked most of the way with my friend Sarah.  She is a great hiking buddy, and I hope to be able to hike with her again sometime!  That night at the station we watched a movie and a slide show that Moncho had compiled of all of our adventures.  It was so great to look back and smile at all the wonderful times we had in Costa Rica.  I will miss this group!

Arenal Lake

Sarah in front of the San Gerardo field station

It wouldn't be Costa Rica without some hammocks...

Johel, Alan, and Moncho heading up in the rain

We made it!  Soaking wet and loving life.

The next day we hiked back out and drove to the Arenal hot springs where we spent the afternoon splashing around in the water.  Finally we drove to San Jose for our final dinner and goodbyes.  Most people flew out the next day, however a number stayed to vacation around Costa Rica for a while.  My family flew down to meet me, and I am thankful that I got to spend a week showing them Costa Rica before making my way back home.

The group!

Goodbye Costa Rica! It has been wonderful, I am blessed to have been able to explore God's glorious creation in such a unique and experiential way. Thank you to everyone who made my visit so special!

No comments:

Post a Comment