Pages

"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God." -- Philippians 1:9-11

Friday, August 13, 2010

Friends, Fish, and Fun

The events of the past couple days have just been too fantastic to go with out writing about, so here I indulge.

Wednesday Morning.  Which may as well begin with Tuesday night.  I go to bed early (about 11) with the intent of getting some sleep before I have to wake up in the morning.   For some reason I don’t sleep well on Sunday nights, never have, something about the anticipation of the coming week combined with the extra sleep from the weekend is my guess.  Well my brain, clearly confused, was in Sunday night mode.  I’d say I finally drifted off around 1:30… A mere two hours later I awoke to the beeping of my alarm and the thought of “Oh my gosh this can’t really be it.” (Similar to my initial reaction the last time I got up to go fishing* “Why the heck did I agree to do this!?”)

Well, that was it.  And so I headed over to meet the group, ate some breakfast, and hit the road.

We were in the water by about 5, casting over and over in the hopes of a bite.  Linnea was the first to catch a fish (she was the one who prayed that morning…. We’ve been seeing a pattern here).  And now Kelsey has a fish tail (quite literally).  After about 2 hours we decided to try a new spot, and soon were back in the water. 

Now, as some of you know, or have guessed by now, I can be quite sarcastic.  It’s quite unintentional, and if you’ve ever been insulted by me I can almost 100% guarantee you that it was done in a joking manner.  Now I was on a roll this morning out on the river.  And Linnea, Sabrina, and Kelsey, I thank you for putting up with my constant commentary on just about EVERYTHING that was said or done.  I must say though, I do truly believe we all had a great time (us, and anyone near us…)

After about another hour of the continuous cast and reel cast and reel I had completely given up on the hope of ever catching a fish and focused all of my abilities on the fun I was having and sharing with my fellow fisherman comrades.  I experimented with the multiple ways of casting a rod (noticing that my most common cast included a jump, which, when you think about it, is kind of counter-productive), and reeled it in simply so I could cast again, not at all trying to catch anything anymore.  Which is why when my rod jerked forward and line started spinning out I shrieked “I GOT A FISH!!!”  Like a little three-year old on her first fishing trip.  My exuberance however was short lived, due to the fact that within seconds of my realization of “fish on”, my line snapped and flew back towards me, arching in the air, and coming to rest on my shoulders (I am quite amazed actually, I became all tangled up in that line and needed assistance in becoming free again, though this could also be because I had moved instantly from my state of estaticness** to one of shock, that my one glimpse of success had just eluded me yet again).

That one bite is a wondrous energizer.  Suddenly, my toes have gained some feeling again, my legs are not so tired from standing, and my fingers are a little less numb, I could go for hours again (ok, well maybe not HOURS…. But about 20 minutes).  I head back in (with a new rod) and renewed hope. 

Standing in a line along the shore, there really isn’t all that much casting room… And for someone like me, whose accuracy with a rod and reel somewhat parallels a 9 month old with a spoon… lets just say we had a few struggles.  Before long I manage to mess something up again, and my line becomes all knotted up around me, the rod, the reel… pretty much anything in the vicinity.  Mr. Holbrook, the benefactor of this entire trip, heads over my way to trade me rods (after I knocked his fish off just minutes earlier).  Having already caused enough trouble, I protested to taking his rod, I could work out my own mess I figured, but he insisted, and I found myself not only with a new rod, but one with a fish on the end!  Kind Mr. Holbrook had allowed me to reel in a fish.  A few minutes later I had myself a beautiful (well as beautiful as a fish can be) red salmon on the beach.  My work here was now complete (even if I didn’t really catch it).

Luckily though, I did have one last stoke of luck before the morning fishing was deemed finished.  A snagged a nice silver a little while later on, unfortunately though, being snagged, I had to let it go, but still the excitement was enough, and all I really wanted.

The trip home happened to be almost as exciting as the fishing itself, pulling a van that had stalled in a puddle all the way back out to the main road, if you want details there, I’ll have to tell you in person.

Anywho, I got home at about noon, 8 hours after we set out.  After unloading the gear and eating third breakfast (I was a hobbit in another life) I sat down on the floor of my room and fell asleep.  4 hours later I regained consciousness and became part of the living world once again.

Wednesday Evening***.  The much anticipated, loved, and adored Jug Band.  My whole family accompanied me to this.  For half of my family not really wanting to go, we sure had a great time.  Battle Hymn of the Republic. Yeah for the fife!  My brother put up the biggest fuss, yet when I turned to look at him he had 4 instruments and looked as if he was thoroughly enjoying himself.  All in all I would say a good night.

Thursday.  I enjoy scrapbooking. A lot.  And because it makes way too much sense to only do one project at a time, I of course must have at least 6 or so going on at once.  So I moseyed on down to Wal-Mart and printed off 184 pictures to be used in a variety of projects.  One calendar (this I am most excited about, I’m finally making something for me! And the days of the month are stickers that you can take off and change, so it’ll always be current!!) 3 birthday presents (I’d say what they are… But if one of the three they are intended for reads this then the surprise will be wasted, and that’s the best part – for me at least) 1 graduation gift (I know, I know, it’s AUGUST… but hey, better late than never!) 1 mini scrapbook of WHS memories (like everyone’s grad presents… but my copy) and 1 scrapbook that I began after Freshmen year to document my time in high school, and need the Junior and Senior year additions.  Then, all the leftover pictures will be used to create a collage of images in a poster frame to hang in my room.  So that’s 8! I think that’s a new record…  I’m gonna be plenty busy for the next few days!

Today ended with some friends and Invictus, a very good movie that I highly recommend (I recommend the friends too, even more than the movie) and a delicious bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream (it’s the simple things remember!)

As I discovered this past year, I tend to write best (and have the most fun writing) very late at night, warranting this post actually to Friday morning.  But what does it matter really!  God’s in his heaven, all’s right with the world.  Good night everyone.




*The first time is a story in itself, which I think you will enjoy.  After waking at 2:30, sneaking around the house gathering my gear, (and breakfast), and eating it in the car, I drove over to a friends house where we were supposed to meet before heading off to Jim Creek.  When I arrived, all was quite and I could see a light on in the kitchen.  I texted my friend to tell her I had arrived (I didn’t want to wake up her family by knocking) and when I didn’t receive a response I tried the door, which was locked.  So I took a seat on the lawn chair on the front porch and took a little nap till startled awake by the porch light coming on 45 minutes later.  Within minutes after that we were all in the car and headed off.

**I know this isn’t a word, but it’s the only way to describe my feelings at the moment.

***Began as a lovely family dinner, which then proceeded to “Oh my goodness! The grill is on fire!” Literally.  With the thermometer all the way stuck at 700 degrees, and the knobs melted off, I was getting outathere.  As my dad expertly maneuvered the fire (we finally got it out with baking soda), a UPS truck pulled up and handed me a package of steaks and pork chops and chicken… coincidence??

1 comment:

  1. So my normal sleep schedule? Didn't work. I'll just have to wake up earlier tomorrow and actually GET OUT OF BED. BUt I enjoyed reading this blog! Fishing is so fun, but my favorite part is always taking a nap later on in the day! Congratulations though, on breakig a rod. I've never done that...

    ReplyDelete