Pages

"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God." -- Philippians 1:9-11

Friday, April 8, 2011

The Peace that Passes Understanding


Sometimes it seems like the world is falling apart.  As I learn more and more about the intricate dynamics that govern our world, I see just how torn and delicate we really are.  This division is killing us.  Our government is on the verge of shutdown over a $7 billion difference in a budget cut proposal that lets face it probably won’t be followed anyway, the entire Middle East is in revolt, and Japan is dealing with one of the worst crises ever to hit earth.

I grew up in a Christian home, I went to church every Sunday, and said my prayers before bed.  I am a Christian.  But now the world is challenging me.  Christianity is challenging me.  What does it mean to be Christian?  There are so many divisions, so many cuts that keep us separate when it seems like we should all be together.  And they’ll know we are Christians by our love….  Will they? 

Perhaps I’ve just been naïve, and now the real world is coming out, now I’m experiencing the hypocriticism on a whole new level, but it seems like these divides are stronger than ever.  It seems like there is a cut so deep that while we may be able to find a band-aid to hide the surface, the real damage is perpetual and will never be healed. 

Religion is of the heart, and each heart is different.  My way is different than your way, and that’s ok.  I can share my beliefs, and you yours, and both will be more knowledgeable.  One does not have to win.  Everyone is searching for the truth.  But what is truth?  Jesus said, “I am the truth, the way, the light.”  And I believe that.  But can my truth be different than your truth?  I would say yes, because truth is a matter of perspective.  My perspective is my reality, and therefore my truth.

The hardest thing for me is not knowing for certain, not being able to say “this is the truth.”  There are so many questions with so many unknown answers.  And we can only speculate, because the definite truth is so fleeting, so thin, so prevalent to change that it is impossible to grasp.  If the one concrete truth were in front of us then wouldn’t we all get along?  But we don’t, because my truth is different than your truth.

This is where God works in my life.  The peace that passes understanding.  As a child I sang those words in Sunday school, and always wondered what they meant.  It’s such a strange line.  But now I think I’m beginning to understand more.  I’m beginning to understand that I really don’t know anything, and that’s ok.  The love of God is so great, that it passes the need to understand, and I can live in peace knowing that I know what I need to, will be enlightened as the need arises, and die still wondering.  I cannot understand.  That is God’s job.

I am a mediocre follower of a first century Jewish carpenter.  I’m not out to change the world.  I will do what the Lord requires of me: to do justice, love kindness, and walk humble with my God.  

2 comments:

  1. I love you Emily! It's so great that you posted this right now because I actually just heard a sermon on that phrase 2 weeks ago (or something. I cannot keep track of time to save my life)
    Anyway, I love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unity In Diversity! Seeing and honoring our similarities while recognizing and celebrating our differences. This includes perspective. I was actually discussing this today, because we were talking about tutoring study circles. Someone said "It is the role of the tutor to bring everyone to a higher level of understanding. That means that the tutor doesn't have all the answers. They have a perspective, and they share their perspective with others and through discussion every member of the group will maybe still have the same perspective, but they will have a greater understanding of their perspective."

    And another theme (sorry if I'm spamming your comment section) is the disintegration and integration of the world. These two forces seem like they're conflicting, but they're actually linked. Things have to fall apart if we want to rebuild them. And integration happens, you just have to look outside CNN to find it...but think about your science program for those girls. All your service work. You're helping to raise a generation that can cope with economic problems!

    I LOVE AND MISS YOU MORE THAN MEGHAN.

    ReplyDelete