Pages

"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God." -- Philippians 1:9-11

Thursday, October 27, 2011

I love life.

Why am I a biology major?  Because I love life.  I love living, I love being alive, and I also love studying life.  It’s crazy all the things that living organisms can accomplish!  It’s so intricate, complex, and specific; it’s astounding!

I do not know what I want to do with my life, but I do know that I like biology.  I’ve always pictured myself working in the genetics or biotech field, and who knows that still may happen, but I like ecology too because you get, or try to get, more of the “big picture” as far as what is going on in the world and how everything is interconnected.  Next July I’ll be going on CO-OP** instead of taking classes, and I’d really like to come home for that.  I’ve spent the past couple days beginning the process of finding a job and I’m excited about all the possibilities.    

Today I went to Nahant to visit Northeastern’s Marine Science Center for my Ecology Lab.  It was like the 5th grade Homer field trip all over again.  Except this time instead or running along the beach ecstatic after finding a sea squirt,* we were walking along the coast examining the various species of snails, barnacles, and crabs, by their Latin names of course (not sure I felt the same exuberance as before – but still it was pretty cool).  We got to see the experiments underway; cages tethered to rocks; heating bulbs over Tupperware full of crabs, snails, and barnacles; and various other contraptions enclosing the ideas and tests of faculty and students alike.  They even had a bunker containing an entire skeleton of a whale.  So, pretty cool day.

Also – this is my 100th post!  I’m considering that an accomplishment…


*My group name was the “Squish Sea Squirts,” so naturally finding a real live sea squirt was just about the best possible thing on the planet.

**This is a program that is a central part of school’s structure and in my five years here I will spend three, six month periods on CO-OP working in a field relative to my major.

No comments:

Post a Comment