Pages

"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God." -- Philippians 1:9-11

Thursday, June 19, 2014

5/18/14 -- Grand Canyon to Death Valley

Dear Rachel,

Hello, how are you!? Our pen pal relationship has kind of dwindled, so I figured this would be a good opportunity to revive it. Aidan and I are on our road trip working our way west. We have just about a week left until we make our way back to Colorado for your graduation and then to Glacier!

Today we spent most of the day driving. We began just outside of Grand Canyon after sleeping for 10 hours straight after our hike to the bottom. We made oatmeal for breakfast (I may be starting to get tired of that meal), filled up our milk jugs with water, and then headed out! The driving today has been some of the least interesting so far on this trip; flat and straight with nothing but desert in every direction. We stopped at the Hoover Dam on our way to Nevada. That is a lot of cement… After hiking in the Grand Canyon down to the beautiful Colorado River, it was a little sad to see it stopped up and altered for our purposes. Aidan has a “free the rivers” shirt with a dam marked as graffiti, so I took a picture of him wearing it in front of the dam.

Free the rivers!

The spillway

Obvious water lines on the rock



It is crazy to me that so much exists in this area of the country where there is so little water available. It gives me a greater appreciation for conserving our natural resources so that we will be able to use them and survive in the future.

Our next stop was Las Vegas. We didn’t drive down the strip, but even from a distance that place looks crazy. We stopped at Panera for lunch (I thought you would appreciate that) and then went to the grocery store to restock on vegetables and other necessary food items, like a pint of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream that needed to be eaten immediately… Outside the grocery store, we quickly tried to get all of the cold items and ice in the cooler before the sun melted everything. The celery just barely wouldn’t fit, so I told Aidan to bite off the ends of it and he did! Right there in the parking lot, all of it at once! In practically one bite, with the whole bundle of celery in his mouth. It was pretty funny. I’m not sure he always gets the difference between my serious and sarcastic advice.

Las Vegas in the distance

DELISH!

After my fill of Las Vegas (and hazelnut chocolate ice cream), we continued west to Death Valley National Park. As we got closer, the drive did become more interesting. This place is desolate and aptly named. Aidan read me some quote on the way there that described Death Valley as “hell without the inconveniences of getting there.” After driving through it and walking around for 2 minutes, I think I would agree. Unfortunately we arrived a few minutes after the visitor center at Furnace Creek had closed. However, we did see the thermometer that at 5:09pm read 111°F ! Oh my goodness this place is hot! This triple digit temperature phenomenon is a new one to me and so I found myself exclaiming my disbelief frequently, to which Aidan laughed and told me to calm down. Apparently he does not grasp the significance of this moment, nor my inability to tolerate temperatures above 75°F. We left Furnace Creek and drove to Badwater (I’m not convinced this was a favorable switch), where we saw the salt flats left over from the ocean that evaporated many moons ago. More importantly, this is the lowest point in the United States (and the Western Hemisphere)! Which is important because in 3 days we will (hopefully) be standing on Mount Whitney! (The highest point in the lower 48.) Fingers crossed we can gain 14,776’ in elevation without too many problems.


Maps!


Death Valley National Park!


Wohoo!!

FYI.  Found in the bathrooms at the visitor center.
I hit the target!

I might die...


Badwater Basin!


Lowest point in the Western Hemisphere!

Sea level is wayyyy up there!

Desolate.

Aidan licked the salt



The salt crust in the basin

Ouch.

From Badwater we drove to Emigrant to camp for the night, where we hoped it would be a little cooler. We made a delicious dinner of stir-fried peppers and onions and quinoa and then set up “camp.” Since it was so hot and clear, we decided to try to sleep out under the stars. It is a little (a lot) windy so hopefully we don’t get blown away!





Dinner!

That’s it for today! I miss you and hope you are doing well. See you soon!

Your friend,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment