Pages

"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God." -- Philippians 1:9-11

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Day 1: Announce

Today, Ash Wednesday, marks the beginning of Lent.  In the Christian calendar the period is marked by a time of repentance, fasting, and centering on God as we prepare for Easter and the celebration of Christ’s resurrection.  The ashes come from the palms used on Palm Sunday the year before, and are mixed with oil or water and drawn in a cross on people’s foreheads.

The ashes are used to represent our mortality.
Genesis 3:19 – “By the sweat of your face you shall eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; you are dust, and to dust you shall return.”
These ashes represent every measure by which we fall short of God.  They represent our sins, and more importantly they represent our need for repentance and forgiveness.  Lent is marked by fasting, so that we remember our failures, while ever holding on to and preparing for the hope that arises with Christ’s resurrection on Easter. 

Through Lent we are preparing.  God prepares us to wipe away all that is broken, all that is marred, all that is hopeless, so that on Easter morning we are fresh with the promise of life, forgiveness, mercy, and grace through Jesus.

Traditionally, Christians fast during this 40-day span.  This may take the form of “giving something up,” a certain indulgence or bad habit perhaps; like chocolate, or Facebook.  Other times you will hear people “taking something on,” such as a practice to reconnect with God and make time for spiritual renewal; like daily devotionals, or 10 minutes of resting silence each day.  All this is done in the spirit of refocusing relationship with God.

This year for Lent I will be jumping on the UMC bandwagon of #picturelent #rethinkchurch #ashtag (ok, enough of that).  Each day I will post a picture and short reflection according to a schedule someone somewhere created.


I am excited about this project because it will be challenging.  As most of you know, I am incredibly literal.  I will try here to look for and recognize meaning in places I wouldn’t have taken the time for previously.  I will try to refrain from posting the obvious (eyes for “see,” my back yard for “wilderness”) and instead think more holistically about the meaning of the word and it’s impact in my life.


Day 1: Announce


It occurred to me today (after much deliberation on what picture I could post that represented the word “announce” – picture of a trumpet dis-included on the grounds of being too literal) that I have not formally announced to the social media world my intentions to enter into ministry.  I am somewhat ashamed of my lack of openness, why have I been hiding such an exciting decision?  I suppose my approach, one of careful consideration and deliberation, was very personal.  I dipped my toes in the proposition ever so slightly, testing the waters over the past four years, and always hesitating to take the final plunge. 

Well.  The waiting is over.  It is time to get over my selfishness, and give glory to God for this wonderful new step in my life.

I will be attending Divinity School/Seminary in the fall.  Where, I am not yet certain.  I have formally begun the candidacy process in the United Methodist Church, and hope to serve in youth/children/camp ministry or chaplaincy, or wherever else God may lead.  Through the specific type of ministry in my future is still unknown, I see this call as an extension of baptism; a venture to work full time as a laborer in God’s plentiful harvest.

I chose this picture because it is from the day that I visited my first theological graduate school.  Carly had planned a trip, and she graciously let me sit in on her plans and tour the school with her.  Little did I know that I might be attending one day!  I am so very grateful for the people in my life who affirmed and guided me towards this calling.  I love you all!

Peace,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment