Pages

"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God." -- Philippians 1:9-11

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Exploring Alaska

Although I managed to get quite a few places on my own two feet, occasionally a boat or plane came in handy to provide some stunning scenery, wildlife, and adventure.  Valerie and I made use of every opportunity that came along, and started out the summer strong with sea kayaking, flight seeing, and whale watching.

Our sea kayaking trip came complimentary of the SeaLife Center.  As an intern, I made sure to take advantage of as many free offerings as possible that came my way.  Thank you Sunny Cove Kayaking for your generosity!




I am so thankful to have had a wonderful friend to shall all of this with!

Valerie hooked us up with a flight seeing tour through the people she was working with.  I had never been in a bush plane before, and was a little apprehensive at the start, however the Cessna 180 and pilot did a fantastic job and once in the air I was able to relax a little.



The Alaska SeaLife Center from the sky!

Bear Glacier, the largest glacier fed by the Harding Icefield


My favorite part was seeing a whale!

Aialik Glacier

In the cockpit!


Finally, a summer in Seward would not be complete without a whale-watching cruise!  I have done this a number of times before, with family, and in high school for our senior trip.  This time had the most beautiful weather imaginable!  And thankfully we saw lots of marine life as well.

Humpback whale

Humpback fluke

The beautiful ocean!
Thankfully the seas were calm and I didn't get seasick.

Orca whale

Valerie chillin' as her awesome self

Wouldn't be Alaska without some glaciers!

We even saw a harbor seal pup!

Kittiwakes.  We also saw common murres and puffins.

Steller sea lions

My favorite part of the whale-watching cruise was seeing all the animals I learned about and saw at the SeaLife Center in the wild.  Our work is applicable!  And it was rewarding to make connections with things I had learned when I saw the animals in their natural habitats.  This summer in Alaska was the most beautiful summer I can remember, and I am so thankful I was able to explore God’s creation in the sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment