Pages

"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God." -- Philippians 1:9-11

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Seward Highlights


While living, working, and playing in Seward this summer, I was able to fill my down time with a little garden!  Don’t get too excited now…  This was a VERY little garden.  This idea popped into my head when I first saw the beautiful rhubarb growing outside of my window.  Then about a week later, I was walking to the post office and passed a plant sale at the Senior Center and so I went in!  I left with 5 sunflowers, 3 forget-me-nots, and some chives, basil, and parsley. 


I cleared the weeds and grasses around the rhubarb, and planted the sunflowers behind and the herbs in front.  I was good and attempted to harden off the plants before I planted them by moving them inside and outside and to the sun for a little bit and to the shade for a little bit, and I was moderately successful.  Unfortunately, the landscaping crew got to a couple of the sunflowers with the weed-wacker…  I’m not really sure how they managed not to see them, obviously in a box next to the house, but alas, a couple of them were planted without heads…


I found a worm

A meager attempt at protection!

The plants did well for a while.  We had beautiful weather and I remembered to water them every day!  However about a month later those landscapers came back… And the sunflowers are no more.

While the sunflowers did perish, the rhubarb produced fruitfully!  And I recognized this as prime pie-making material.  Seven pies were baked during my 12-week stay in Seward.  Though not all of them were rhubarb, all of them were delicious!

High quality ingredients


High quality fun

High quality friends

One delicious pie!


Another special Seward escapade was a fishing trip with my dad.  I had never been deep-sea fishing before, and this outing with my dad made for a wonderful day and a freezer full of fish!

Thankfully the seas were calm!

Skates are funny-looking fish...

My dad caught a giant lingcod!

I caught a yelloweye rockfish (the bright orange one)


Together we caught 4 halibut, 6 silvers, a lingcod,
a yelloweye, and a handful of quillbacks!
We had a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment