Pages

"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God." -- Philippians 1:9-11

Sunday, November 21, 2010

10 Reasons I Love Boston (or at least this weekend)

1) HARRY POTTER!!!!!  This really has nothing to do with Boston specifically per say, however it did play a significant role in my weekend here IN Boston, so thus relates.  Thursday night I headed out with some friends at about 9:00.  Kinda early for a midnight release of only he most greatest book series ever??  No.  We got there and the line was already out the door down the street and around the corner.  It moved fast however, and the wait was made better on account of only the greatest game of all time*: Catch Phrase.  Upon finally making it inside the building we were only met with more waiting and more lines, though I must say the theater did a very good job of preparing for the madness that would no doubt ensue.  Between 10:30 and 11 (I can’t remember exactly) the doors to the theater were opened and a surge of college students pushed forward.  I cannot honestly believe that the first thing that popped into my mind was Schenck v. U.S.  You cannot “shout fire in a crowded theater.”  And now I understand why.  Upon securing seats we hunkered down for the next hour till show time.

2) HARRY POTTER!!!!! Yes, this gets two.  You see the first one merely talked about the experience of it, the actual film deserves it’s own shout out.  Although we’ve only seen Part 1, I must say I was impressed.  Perhaps it’s because I haven’t read the book in over a year, so I don’t remember all the details,** but I thought they did a fantastic job in sticking to the plot.  I am so excited for Part 2! It’s gonna be EPIC!

3) Volunteering.  I love volunteering, I really do.  And I’m happy to say that as I get to know people better and the organization more I’m becoming rather fond of Science Club for Girls.  Despite the 40-minute commute over a total of 3 miles into Cambridge, the Amigos School is a wonderful site and I love all the girls there and the mentors.

4) Andy Samberg.  Yup!  I spent my Friday evening with SNL star Andy Samberg.  A perk of going to Northeastern University and life in Boston.  Those people and groups who would NEVER in a million years journey up to Alaska can be found all to frequently in a place like this.

5) Heather.  Once again, not really Boston specifically, but she’s close enough to come and visit every once in awhile.  And this being her birthday weekend, I decided to make it a special one.  So the two of us went gallivanting off in the city Saturday night, SO MUCH FUN!  By the way, she now has a blog, you should check it out!

6) The T.  Yeah for public transportation!  We don’t really have this in Alaska; I mean it’s there, sorta, but not the most convenient way to get around.  I don’t know what I would do without it here.  So I jump on the Green Line to go pick up Heather, and it’s about as crowded as I had EVER seen it.  And let me tell you, that’s saying something.  The most hilarious thing was pulling into the Prudential station and seeing the looks on the faces in the crowd hoping to get ON the train, it wasn’t going to happen.

7) Mike’s Pastries.  I know there are probably hundreds more places to get wonderful desserts in the city, but I keep coming back here.  Click here for the full description.

8) Boston Common.  A huge park right in the middle of the city for those of you who don’t know.  It is absolutely amazing, tons of grass and trees, and a pond right in the middle.  Overlooked by the State House, The Boston Common is a beautiful place to spend the afternoon.

9) Random sandwich shop.  I don’t remember the name of this little café boarding Boston Common, but they get my vote for the best sandwiches on the planet.  Enough said.

10) Lights.  “Bright lights, big city, that’s the life for me***.”  One of the highlights of living in any city, the limitless lights represent limitless possibilities.  The excitement, the wonder, the energy…   GO BOSTON!



* I really love this game, and maybe no the greatest of ALL TIME, but certainly the greatest of all waiting in line games.

** I made the mistake of rereading the 5th, 6th, and 7th RIGHT before the 6th movie, so with the details still fresh in my mind, the movie didn’t stand a chance.

*** James and the Giant Peach – Yes I still love that movie

5 comments:

  1. HOLY CRAP YOU MET ANDY SANDBERG???????????????

    ReplyDelete
  2. CURSE YOU.
    I love Andy Samberg a whole lot!
    I want to meet him! The only famous(ish) person who's come to Fargo was Bristol Palin. Ironic, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I didn't MEET Andy Samberg.... I just saw him perform. But still, pretty awesome. And Meghan... BAHHHAHH! Sooooo ironic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHHHH ANDY SAMBERG. Jell. which is short for jealous, in case you didn't know. Actually, I think your whole life is pretty awesome, and cannot WAIT TO SHARE IT WITH YOU VERBALLY AND FACE TO FACE IN A FEW MONTHS.

    ReplyDelete