Pages

"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God." -- Philippians 1:9-11

Monday, November 15, 2010

"Lost in Wonder, Love, and Praise"


Sometimes when we sing, we don’t really think about the lyrics, or at least I don’t anyway.  Then, that one time comes around when I actually do pay attention, and my mind is completely blown away. 

Be Thou My Vision.

My vision.

But what does that mean?  This reminded me of all those times in school and work I’ve either had to write or have read “Mission and Vision” statements.  The mission of the company, organization, or group is defined as the fundamental purpose.  It answers the “W” questions.  Why are we here?  What is the purpose?  Who will be affected?  When will we be done?  The vision on the other hand is the “how.”  How are we going to accomplish this?  It’s the future, the inspiration, the framework.  It’s the guidebook, the manual, the roadmap.  Call it whatever you like, but one thing remains the same, without the vision, the mission doesn’t stand a chance. 

Be Thou My Vision.

For my mission to succeed, I must have a vision.  And only one vision can support the mission of life.

So there I am.  Standing in church this morning singing that oh so familiar line, Be Thou My Vision, and that epiphany that I had been hoping for in Calculus hit me smack in the face in the form of God.  Thou my best thought, by day or by night, waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

In any situation, in any dilemma, in any joy, in any trouble, in any relationship, in any decision, in any anything and everything!  Be Thou My Vision.

Heart of my own heart, whatever befall… Still be my vision, O ruler of all.


Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best thought, by day or by night
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light

Be Thou my Wisdom and Thou my true Word
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one

Be Thou my battle-shield, sword for my fight
Be Thou my dignity, Thou my delight
Thou my soul's shelter, Thou my high tower
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise
Thou mine inheritance, now and always
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart
High King of heaven, my treasure Thou art.

High King of heaven, my victory won
May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heav'ns Son
Heart of my own heart whatever befall
Still be my vision, O ruler of all


Lord prepare me to be a sanctuary, pure and holy, tried and true, and with thanksgiving I’ll be a living sanctuary for you.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! To that last quote, "Lord prepare me" I learned a really cool song to it. And this is so pensieve and beautiful...Emily, you are amazingly firm and earnest in your faith. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! Wow to the subject, wow to the incredible writing, wow to just about everything here!

    ReplyDelete