Pages

"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God." -- Philippians 1:9-11

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Day 24: Practice

“Practice makes perfect!”  That’s the old adage.  I can tell you that it is true too.  After 23 years, I have perfected the chocolate chip cookie.

The perfect chocolate chip cookie comes straight from the oven, warm and gooey, with chocolate oozing over your fingers.  This cookie will have a slightly crunchy crust, just baked long enough to caramelize the sugars and blend the flavors into complete perfection.  This perfectly balanced concoction leaves a salty tingle on your tongue, combining with the buttery smoothness and chocolaty mess of a cookie that leaves your heart happy and your mouth wanting more.

So now that I have your mouths watering and your subconscious working on a new grocery list…

I am going to compare my faith to a chocolate chip cookie.

I will not be so bold as to say this aspect of my life has been perfected, far from it actually.  But I will say that the practice of faith is instrumentally important in the foundation and application of belief. 

I have enjoyed this Lenten photo journey, mostly because it creates a point to focus my thoughts on my faith and relationship with God.  Each day brings a new meditative word, a word to consider, and a word to relate to my faith.  This practice is renewing and restoring devotion to God and my recognition of God’s work in all aspects of life. 

This is what Lent is all about.  It is a season of preparation, of practice.  It makes us ready to accept God’s gift of life in Christ.  It is about shedding the sin that clings so closely, and letting go of the hurt, pain, and shame in our lives as we remember our dependence and commitment to God, and the life giving promises that this relationship brings.

We practice because we are not perfect.  We practice to bring us closer to perfection that is our God.


No comments:

Post a Comment