Pages

"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God." -- Philippians 1:9-11

Monday, March 23, 2015

Day 32: Still

Be still, and know that I am God.” – Psalm 46: 10

I really like coffee.  Usually I limit myself to just one cup a day.  I see that as a healthy dose of caffeine…  Sometimes though I have an extra cup or two, and on occasion I mix some sweetener into my cup.  When this happens, a curious phenomenon takes place. 

My hands start to shake, just a tiny little amount, but enough to be noticeable.  What frustrates me when this happens is that I cannot make them still.  It is a little scary honestly, the inability to control this movement, and makes me seriously reconsider my morning decisions.

In Psalm 46 we are told to be still.  Amidst all of life’s tribulations and difficulties, we are supposed to stop, to be still, and “know” that God is God.  The knowledge referred to in Psalm 46 however is not simply recognition of God, but rather recognition of God’s relationship to us. 

To be still I must surrender.  I must concede that God is in control, that God is all-powerful and all-loving, and that God will provide in my weakness.  The only way for me to be still is to submit to God, to surrender my need for control over my life, and to trust in God’s love at all times.  I cannot make me still alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment