Pages

"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God." -- Philippians 1:9-11

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Day 31: Place

I love Alaska.  I absolutely love it!  I love the mountains and the rivers, the trees and the moose.  I love the people, my friends, and my family.  I love the cold winter nights and bright summer days.  I love campfires and skiing, hiking and the northern lights.  I even love the rainy summers and the butt-cold days in the winter.

I moved to Boston 5 years ago.  Let me tell you… Boston is NOT Alaska.  So much of my life here in no way resembles my life back home.  I am in the city.  Loud noises, people all around, flat landscape and concrete all around me.  I visited my friend in Spartanburg last week and took a picture in front of a wall (below).  Centered on the wall were the words “Love where you live.”

The value of this statement struck a chord with me.  In a sense, I am stuck where I am living, even if it is temporary.  True, I have the options to pick up and move somewhere else, but I have resigned to the fact that Boston will be ‘home’ for my undergraduate years. 

So since Boston is where I am living, and I have decided to live here and stay here for a while, I should now love Boston.  Of course, I do not have to love Boston.  But I figured out pretty quickly that if I did not at least adopt the attitude that I should like Boston, life became very much not fun.

We do not always pick or like the places where we are living.  I noticed that when I compared Boston to Alaska, I often began to miss home and detest living in this northeast city.  Instead of comparing, I needed to redirect my attention to discover what Boston (and the surrounding areas) had to offer, independently of my love for Alaska.

I will always love Alaska.  But I will also try to “Love where I live,” wherever that may be.


No comments:

Post a Comment